Skip to main content
Christ the King
Mass Options
Directions-Join Us This Sunday
Our History
Funeral Readings
Marriage Preparation
About Us
Ministers of Communion
Altar Servers
Pro Life Committee
Legion of Mary
Eucharistic Adoration
Homebound Ministers of Communion
Ladies Guild
Knights of Columbus
Marion Prayer Group
Health and Wellness
Funeral Dinners
Food Pantry
Prayer Tree
High School
Confirmation 8th Grade
Rite of Christian Initiation (RCIA)
Online Giving
Prayer Requests
Contact Us

Christ the King began as a mission to the St. Agnes parish in Scottsbluff. In 1957 Bishop Paschang appointed Fr. James Whalen to establish the parish of Christ the King. The original church was dedicated in 1958. The first pastor was Fr. James Kremeier follwed by Fr. Walter Phelan, Fr. Andrew Gonda, Fr. Jacob Bauer, Fr. Stephen Deaver, Fr. Gerald Harr, and Fr. Michael McDonald. Many dedicated Sisters have also served the parish on its journey. 

In the early 1980's , the need arose to develop a means for the handicapped and elderly persons to enter and acess the various levels in the church structure. This need resulted in the development of a study group to develop a plan of action. At the time the "energy crunch" and a study of the heating efficiency of the church identified the need to replace windows and improve the insulation of the structure. Simuntaneously the heating system required repair. 

Concurrent with the physical problems were the desire and need to improve the liturgical and spiritual enviornment of the church.  A plan for renovation of the structure and rearrangemnt of the location of the alter and pews was developed. 

The combination of the physical and spirital plans for improvement of Christ the King Church gave rise to the need for an addition to the structure to provide entrance for the handicapped and a gathering area for the church community. Several renovation and construction plans were considered and rejected by the Building and improvement Committee beginning in 1982 and many fund raising activities were undertaken by the parish organizations and the community. In 1993 the plans for renovation and construction of the present church complex were developed by the restructured Building Committee. A Pledge Drive and other activities were undertaken in 1994 to raise the required $1,060,000 to complete construction and renovation of the church and the improvement of the spiritual and liturgical environment of Christ the King. 

The dedication of the current worship space happened on October 27, 1996 with Bishop McNamara blessing the space. 

    18th and M
    PO Box 33
    Gering, NE 69341
    PH: 308-436-2290

    email usour facebook page youtubeinstagram